Ghana Senior High, Koforidua
Ghana Senior High School, Koforidua, popularly known as GHANASS, is a high school in Koforidua. It was preceded by the establishment of two colleges that ultimately combined into what is currently known as The Beacon of the East.
In 1943, Fred Addae and Francis Adjei Tetebo established a school with 16 boys called Phoenix College in a temporary building. By 1950, an increase in students necessitated a new location which today houses the Normal Technical Institute, Koforidua. The change in location brought in its wake a change in the school’s name from Phoenix College to Christ College. The location of the premises had to change again after some time to respond to the increasing student population. Thus, the school moved into Effiduase where it was housed at the current premises of Effiduase Police Quarters in Koforidua, Ghana. This was made possible by the efforts of Rev. Dr. Nimako, the first MP for New Juaben Constituency, Mr WT Wutor, a contractor and Nana Frempong Mposo II, the then chief of Effiduase. During this period, Mr. Francis Adjei Tetebo was the Principal of the college. Mr Fred Addae the headmaster had then died.
In 1957, the year that Ghana gained independence, Osagyefo Dr. Kwame Nkrumah on a visit to Koforidua requested a name change of the school from Christ College to Ghana Secondary School. The change was so that the new name could be in line with other government established secondary schools such as the Ghana National College in Cape Coast and the Ghana Secondary Technical School in Takoradi. When the school was absorbed into the public school system, Mr. Daniel Ofori Dankwa who was then a Science teacher at Accra Academy was encouraged to come and steer the affairs of the establishment. In that same year, the first Speech and Prize – Giving Day was organized. The school then had a population of 100 boys and 6 girls with a staff of only 6. By dint of hard work, Mr. D. Ofori Dankwa continued to develop the school until 1974 when he was promoted to Director of Education. He was succeeded by Rev. R. P. Nyarko.
The school now has a population of over two thousand three hundred students (males and females) with a staff population of about eighty well qualified and trained teachers.
Category – Grade A School
Gender – Mixed
Housing Status – Day/Boarding
Year of Establishment – 1943
Name of Head – Patience Naki Mensah
Name: Ghana Senior High School, Koforidua
Region: Eastern Region, Ghana
Location: 4P5P+764, Efiduase, Unnamed Road, Koforidua, Effiduase
Ghana Post GPS: